I made a mobile version of a PDF file and I wanted others to be able to download it on their devices. Here I found some instructions that helped me craft a url to do it with.
You have a file (say a 100mb presentation) in Google Drive (aka Google Docs) and you want to share it with your friend who does not have a Google/Gmail account at all.
1) In Google Drive, seeing the file listed, put a check in front of it, and at the top of the list of files, click More--Share--Share
2) On the Sharing settings for the file, where you see "Private - Only the people listed below can access" - Click CHANGE
3) Change default sharing to be "Anyone with the link" then click SAVE
4) Now you should see a link to the file (copy this with Ctrl-C or by the mouse)
something like this:
5) Click DONE
6) Create your new email
7) Now you need the link from the other step (unique to each file) you share
8) Make a link in your email based on putting your like and this new prefix
New Prefix: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=
Result Link to email: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B4OExGgOTeXXXXXXXXXXYYYYYZZZZZGU4OGJlMTNlNzBh
9) Email it to your friend, when they click the link the file automatically downloads.