Saturday, March 31, 2018

Steps I took to install Windows 10 on a New Hard Drive

I am installing Windows 10 on a new machine. I used the "Create Windows 10 installation media" tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
to create a USB to install Windows 10 from.

I had to press F12 while it was booting up while the USB was in the correct slot. The first slot I picked did not work.

I also had to disconnect the secondary hard drive.

I had to partition the hard drive and format it. I used method 3 from https://www.avoiderrors.net/unable-create-new-system-partition/. I found this from his video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ilMAAk1Q8

Method 3
1. When you see the error in question, press Shift+F10 to open the command prompt.
2. In the command prompt type diskpart and hit Enter.
3. Then type list disk and hit Enter.
4. Type select disk  X (X being the local drive.), and then hit Enter. In my case the disk where I want to install Windows 7 is Disk 0, so the command would be “select disk 0”
5. Type clean and hit Enter.
6. Now type create partition primary size=5000 and hit Enter.
7. Now type format fs=ntfs quick and phit Enter. This command will format the partition using NTFS.
8. Type assign and hit Enter. This will assign a drive letter to the partition.
9. Type active and hit Enter.
10. Type list volume and hit Enter. To list the drive letters of the Windows installation media (USB/Disc).

I modified the steps above. I used the diskpart command line program to partition and format the whole SSD. I had the secondary hard drive plugged in. One of the other methods probably would have worked if I had disconnected it to begin with. Once I disconnected it and tried again, it was able to start the installation.

When the installation wizard asked, I entered my license key from the defective hard drive.

I did not have it use a Microsoft account. I used a disconnected one.


The first error was "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.". This was fixed by using diskpart to partition and format the disk.

The second error was "we couldn't install windows in the location you choose 0x80300001" I solved this by powering off the PC and disconnecting the secondary hard drive.




No comments: